Friday, June 8, 2007

Philosophy of Liberty

Finally! Common sense from a candidate we can get behind. We are living in a time when politics has the American population doubting the competency of any politician. In my case that 's not just federal but also includes state and city officials. Dubya, Jen Jen and The Hip-hop Mayor have all been disappointing to say the least. I’m waiting for Ashton to jump out of a van and tell us we’ve all been punk’d, but I digress.

The candidate I’m encouraging all of you patriotic Americans to learn about is republican Congressman Dr. Ron Paul of Texas. I’ve just started reading all I can on the man and so far so GREAT. Dr. Paul is a staunch supporter of limited constitutional government, low taxes and free markets. He also talks about things like a “non-intervention foreign affairs policy” and securing America and its borders rather than funding and fighting a no-win battle against terrorism.

In regard to debt and taxes I’m not sure an all out cutting of our taxes is the answer but I certainly believe our government is entirely too wasteful with its resources. Dr. Paul agrees with me and suggests we refer to the constitution for prioritizing spending. Imagine that...referring to The Constitution.

Bottom-line: Ron Paul simply makes sense. I’ve heard some of the most respected and intelligent people of my social network make similar comments regarding foreign policy, border security, debt and taxes, and personal liberty. But don't take my word for it. A couple popular liberal hosts in entertainment absolutely love this man. I do know that real news should not come from Comedy Central and/or HBO.


Honestly, I don't care who you vote for, but I do care that you actually vote and have a damn good reason for doing so even if I or anyone else disagrees with you.

I encourage any and all comments in support of and more importantly AGAINST my position. Looking at you Hollywood and Psquared.
References:
Ron Paul 2008
Us Representative Ron Paul

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only disagree on one point. I DO care who you vote for. If we elect one more dismissive, arrogant moron into office...well, I'll just keep going on with my life like I have for 6 1/2 years, but I won't be thrilled.

I like the CNN video about "required reading". The last question from a viewer was "Who is Ron Paul? Am I alone on this one?" No, unfortunately this person is not alone. Many people don't...and won't know who he is because they won't take the time to look into our candidates and make an educated vote. They'll vote for Hilary because she's a woman...or on their TV a lot or they'll vote for Rudy because well, dumb Americans like things from New York (see any Yankee fan).

Good post.

Anonymous said...

by the way...I accidentally posted anonymously...that was from kbob.

kbob

recommend a good lawyer said...

I have been a Steve Forbes fan for a few decades now. Ron Paul would be a great Libertarian candidate, not sure he is a Republican other than being from Texas where he would need to be (R) to be in office.

Steve is on Rudy's team this year, which I think is a strong runner. But I am not sure whom I am behind yet. It is way, way to early for this.

We may want to remember where we are at this moment - on the prefaces of global change. A lot could happen before we vote, and we will be voting.

Jeen Yes said...

i agree with hwood here. even as a registered dem, i prefer paul to any of the other candidates...in either party, which will eventually cost me my membership, i'm sure. but his common sense approach, as i've been saying for an eternity, is exactly what's missing in politics.

taking on the "they hate us for our freedom" republicans on tv took some balls. and then to go on real time and match wits with bill maher, that as awesome.

after that performance, bill and i both support mr. paul. good luck to him.

nice post.

jacy said...

R. Paul's rigid interpretation of the Constitution makes me nervous. Although the Document is explicit, by nature, its interpretation needs to allow for evolution of social thought and circumstance. R. Paul could potentially veto virtually everything that crosses his desk; this is reflected in his voting record. How would this provide an avenue for development?

... and kudos for encouraging people to vote in this exciting (i.e. no incumbent) Presidential election and its preceeding primaries!!!