Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Lost in YouTube

I’ll admit I feel like I’m a little late to the party. Before I continue I feel I must warn you of the power YouTube can have on unsuspecting viewers. I was sucked in for a good…many hours. I kinda lost track of time. Just be careful. OK! Now that that’s out of the way I can get to the point.

We’ll start with a more common “youtuber”. Lonelygirl15 has a lot of subscribers to her YouTube account. I’ve never heard of her until I saw LisaNova do a parody of lonelygirl15. LisaNova is another one…HOLD ON! Maybe I should start from the beginning; entrance to the rabbit hole, if you will.

See, what had happened was I’m trying to learn Jimmy Buffet’s “Margaritville” on my guitar and found that youtubers will teach strum patterns which makes learning new songs much easier. Anyway, I’m searching for the song and find this goofy dude playing margaritville. I’m what you might call “easily entertained” so I continued to watch. I find out that Dan Rohde (aka Rohde51) has a collection of random videos he has created and has collected a couple subscribers (88), which I’ve learned is the goal of YouTubers. I see Rohde has a couple videos dedicated to some LisaNova chick. In my twisted mind I’m thinking this guy made a video about some girl he knows that dumped him or something miserably entertaining like that. So I watch a couple of his LisaNova videos and realize I was way wrong.




I hit the search engine. “LisaNova”. There she was. This is when my trip down the rabbit hole takes a nasty turn. Up to this point I was looking at the clock and thinking I needed to get something done, but when I started watching LisaNova’s “sketchies” as they’re called, I lost all comprehension of time and frankly I didn’t really care. LisaNova is the director but it appears she has help creating, writing, acting in, filming and editing her videos. I’m not a movie critic or anything, I just like what I like and that’s good enough for me, but I thought her sketchies were very good. I’d encourage any of you to check out some of the work LisaNova has on her YouTube profile. Oh and evidently a lot of other people like her work considering she has over 47,000 subscribers.





Being a fan of “smack”, “talking trash” and other competitive banter I found it very amusing that YouTubers make parodies of each other as well. In my opinion, one of LisaNova’s more entertaining videos is a parody of lonelygirl15. Of course I had no idea who lonelygirl15 was. Yeah, I’ve been living under a rock. I get it. But, it didn’t take me long to figure out what was going on with these YouTube geniuses. Lonelygirl15 “Bree” is actually an actress by the name of Jessica Rose but started her profile as if she was simply doing a vlog as a 16yr old girl. Lonelygirl15 and her creators have nearly 96,000 subscribers and almost 140 videos. She’s been on Leno and I’m sure other shows that I don’t watch.





Lonelygirl15 is currently the #2 most subscribed to profile. LisaNova is currently #11 all-time, but I think she’ll soon be sitting on top, that is if she can catch smosh who is the clubhouse leader with a mere 132K subscribers.

I know you’re going to go check all this out, but please tie on a life line or set an alarm or something.

No comments: