Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Platte River Adventure

First of all, I have to thank Dr. Squirrel for organizing this trip. I’m looking forward to it for years to come. We were originally planning to float the Betsie River but due to canoe livery issues we had to switch to the Platte River at the last minute. Personally, I find it difficult to believe we’d have had a better time than we did. The weather was incredible all weekend for floating and camping. Everyone in the group seemed to have a great time except for a small complication involving a generator at about 8am, but believe me the coffee was worth it.

Another interesting twist to the float involved a bunch of children, secret service, DNR and other state law enforcement agents. Evidently, the National Governors Association’s annual meeting was hosted by our Governor Jen-Jen in Traverse City. One of the activities scheduled for all the governors’ children was to float the river and we just happened to float with them their entire trip. At first we were a little concerned because we may or may not have been bending the alcohol per vessel limits. Needless to say they didn’t care about us as long as we stayed away from the kids.

Here are some of the pictures I took on the river:

Dr. & Mrs. Squirrel - Starting our trip.


The water is incredibly clear compared to the Au Sable.


The whole group almost to Loon Lake.


The group. Loon Lake sand bar. Some crazy naked guy in a kayak.


I believe this is a fish weir. I'm open to other suggestions if I'm wrong. This is also where the governors' kids jumped in the river.


Ride is almost over now.


That's Lake Michigan you're looking at. Absolutely amazing river to float.

Thanks to the group for waiting for me to finish looking at the lake and taking these last couple pictures. I strongly encourage everyone to check out the Platte River as well as the rest of this part of the great state of Michigan.

For my next summer adventures I'll be returning to Mio to mountain bike some of the incredible trails in the area (Hanson Hills - Grayling). Then over to the west side for a Labor Day Lake party on Silver Lake in Mears, MI. I hope to get better pictures for all of you to enjoy.

Get out there and enjoy the summer while it lasts!

4 comments:

Kbob said...

I wasn't naked...I had river shoes on...

Anonymous said...

He's no doctor yet...I'm still waiting!
Loved the pictures and looking forward to next year.

AC said...

He's not a squirrel either but he's close enough to nature and his degree that we can call him both Dr. & Squirrel.

Thanks for your comments. Mrs. Squirrel, I presume.

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
And, Thank God for River Shoes!

sv (i LOVE being a vansumeren) =)