Thursday, July 12, 2007

Memo to parents with overweight kids:

Your children are fat because you made them that way.

Lil Jimmy or Lil Susie watch you shovel that crap you call food into your pie-hole while you’ve firmly planted yourself in front of the TV and then, and then get this . . . they mimic what YOU do. Can you understand that? YOU, parents, are role-models. Act like it! Start with your diet; it’s killing your children, seriously. No more blaming “society” for the poor physical and emotional shape your kids are in. Take a step back and look at yourself, if you can see around your own fat ass, and try to understand how your poor habits are potentially abusive to your children. Nice job stacking the cards against your own offspring.

The positive flip: You can fix it if you want to. Will watching Idol really matter tomorrow? Go out and throw a ball or take a walk with your child. That will matter for years to you and them.

Signed,

AC


Reason for the rant:

A few weeks ago I wrote about how children were being praised and expecting thanks without actually earning it. (Failure Free Society) My point was that parents need to be responsible for educating, disciplining and praising their children when appropriate with the end goal of raising a productive member of society. In my opinion, and I may be way off base here, setting an example through your actions should be an understood yet unstated component in all of that.

In an Associated Press article, “Overweight kids face widespread stigma”, I’ve found more evidence to support the fact that I may not be completely ignorant in regard to developing people. The article starts out with a lot of good information based on 40 years of research:

“Overweight children are stigmatized by their peers as early as age 3 and even face bias from their parents and teachers, giving them a quality of life comparable to people with cancer, a new analysis concludes.

Youngsters who report teasing, rejection, bullying and other types of abuse because of their weight are two to three times more likely to report suicidal thoughts as well as to suffer from other health issues such as high blood pressure and eating disorders, researchers said.”


Continues…

Lynn McAfee, 58, of Stowe, Pa., said that as an overweight child she faced troubles on all fronts.

Her mother, who also was overweight, offered to buy her a mink coat when she was 8 to try to get her to lose weight even though her family was poor.

Her mother could have saved years of emotional abuse to Lynn had she simply set a better example rather than try to bribe her. The last line brings up another interesting question. Was her mother overweight because she was poor or was she overweight because she may have been less educated which resulted in her being poor? Might I also suggest that similar questions surround the demographics of smokers? Chicken or Egg scenario, I guess.

I’ll leave you with this: Just take responsibility for your lot in life. If you don’t like something about yourself only you can change it. Very few, about 1%, have actual medical reasons for being overweight (ie hypothyroidism, Cushing’s syndrome and depression). The rest just need to break some difficult habits learned at a very young age. Good luck to anyone on that road; my best wishes are with you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny story: So there I was, at Cold Stone (which is f*cking awful, by they way...don't ever go there...ever), and I was behind a father and daughter. The daughter was all of 8 years old. And at 8, I'm thinking weighed as much as I did at the time. Poor thing was as wide as she was tall. I'm guessing she gets picked on at school, the playground, etc. So, what does dear ole daddy do? (or uncle, who knows...either way) He says, "get what you want honey" What do you think she ordered? I don't know either...but it was the biggest thing they had. Have some discipline...control...perspective...SOMETHING!! Please!!

Anyway...this isn't my blog, so sorry for the long rant. I just feel strongly about it. I ate a lot as a kid...and not the best stuff...but I did things besides play video games and sit in front of the internet all day. Find a balance. It's not that difficult. If you have kids, get them involved in activities. Don't be my SIL. Those who know me will get that.

jacy said...

Don't get me started on parents.
Well, since you did. It amazes me how much parents are willing to place the blame for their lack of parenting onto other people. In parent conferences there are always excuses. Although I worked in a great district this year with minimal problems, past experiences would have yielded me a couple of Kate Spade Bags if I had $2.50 for everytime parents explained to me how the people down the street have some how messed up their child.

As a teacher, I expose kids to the construct of life long learning. Yadda yadda yadda. I struggle with the idea that a five year old can come to school not knowing how to turn the pages in a book, recite the ABCs, recognize her name, or speak in simple sentences. Are some children put into a box when they born and unpackaged and sent to school when they are five?

Beyond this, although it is my job to educate, it is my job to groom (brush hair, provide tooth brushes, clip finger nails, wash faces), clothe (purchase and wash clothes that are not smelly and dirty), and nurture (feed breakfast and snack, bandage wounds that occured outside of school hours, locate counseling services if parent has been incarcerated or has died) because their parents/care givers have selected not to?

AC said...

Thanks for the supportive feedback and added comments. I thought I may get flamed on my own blog with this subject.

I have no idea what a "Kate Spade bag" is. I'll assume it's very expensive.

I've always said that teachers and social workers have to be the most overworked and underpaid professions. IF, of course the job is done appropriately.

Anonymous said...

Good Post!
Jacy: It is funny that you say that parents say "how the people down the street have some how messed up their child."

I just so happened to watch the news where a police officer said that parents use that line often but the other parents down the street same the same thing.

The way kids act these days leads me to believe that only stupid people are breeding. Parents, parent your children.

Kristi said...

I agree with all of you, except I think Cold Stone is delicious, but I can barely finish the smallest size.

I think that in general, there is a great lack of accountability in students and parents. I had a student who was goofing around in another teacher's room and knocked over a plant, breaking its pot. When the girl half-heartedly apologized, the teacher asked her to either replace it or give her $5 toward its replacement. She didn't, and when the teacher called home, the mother said that her daughter didn't have to replace it "because it was an accident." !!!!
What kind of lesson is that!

The same goes for health and physical fitness. With PE programs getting cut and reduced, it is even more important for parents to realize that getting kids to exercise is not just the school's responsibility.

Hmmm . . . seems we all have rants in us. Good topic to get us going.

jacy said...

Since the forum already exists, here are my SINC (single income, no children) additions for 7/13/07...

On my way home from work today, I stopped at Costco. I have to admit that curiousity compells me to swing through the food section to see what is being sampled. I seldom try anything, but it is fun to look.

Today, there was an older woman working the cheese tortellini station. As I was walking by, she dropped the utensil that she had been using. I stopped and picked it up for her. She thanked me. Immediately following our exchange, an unaccompanied little girl came up and asked her if she could have some. The woman said, "No", and was about to explain why (she didn't have another utensil and needed to go get one and Costco has a policy of not serving unaccompanied minors because of the possibility of food allergies), but the litle girl ran off shrieking before she could offer her explanation. The woman looked at me quite sheepishly. I could tell she was embarrassed that people had thought she had done something to this child. I didn't even get a chance to ask the employee if she needed help contacting her manager to get a new utensil before this child's HEINOUS mother came and screamed at the woman for not feeding her child. The employee was obviously too meek and concerned about customer service to stand up for herself, but it was apparent from the tears in her eyes that she was quite upset. Seeing the frustration on the employee's face, I turned to the mother, explained in an extremely polite manner the reasons for why her daughter had not been served. Then, using the best condescending kindergarten teacher voice I possess, I supplemented my explanation with a diatribe about the virtues of kindness and patience. Obviously my point was understood bcause she grabbed her daughter and they left the area fairly quickly.

jacy said...

"Weighing" in about Cold Stone....
It makes me suffer from Option Paralysis... I never know what to get... Everyone else's stuff always tastes good, but my combinations are always just so-so... I would rather go to Stucci's...

Anonymous said...

Jacy - I could see this transitioning into an article about the "Vulturism" in our society. The way people react to free stuff shocks me...I could on all day about expired twinkies in the office kitchen...anyway...A free tortellini probably isn't worth ruining your and someone else's day.

AC said...

I like ice cream and it doesn't really matter where it's from. BUT I shouldn't eat it. My stomach will hurt really bad.

Jacy - You should have kicked that lady in the shin and then told her what's what.

H.Wood - I agree with you whole heartedly once again.